Friday, February 19, 2010

test taking.

Congratulations!
You are reading the blog of thee worst test taker,
EVER!
.
I do not know what it is,
but I am horrible at taking tests.
I know all the information on the test but as soon as the test is handed out,
it flies out of my brain.
.
I study for hours and hours,
walk into class and feel confident.
I sit down, memorizing some last items,
then the test begins to be passed out,
and
BOOM!
.
my heart - racing,
my palms - sweaty,
I'm breathing heavy,
I can't relax,
and I cannot remember anything that I just studied.
.
It's like I am searching through the files of my brain and someone has pressed delete.
And worst of all -
I have the cold sweats.
.
I look around frantically trying to remember even the last word I just read in my notes -
nothing.
.
Then I begin to write my name -
BOOM!
even worse...
"what's my name?"
I feel like I'm going to cry.
and throw up.
.
I read question number four,
is the answer (a) or (d),
I can't remember - I'm second guessing myself.
Aaaah. Think. I'll guess (a).
.
I get through the test, and hand it in.
.
The minute I step out of the classroom,
my notes come flooding back to my memory.
It's like someone opened the gate,
and here come the cows.
[cows being the material I studied].
.
I suddenly can remember number 4 on the test,
and know what the answer is.
It's (d) - "Did I put (d)?"
I sure hope I did.
.
.
It gives me extreme anxiety for the next week.
I can't even sleep.
.
.
I get my test back - horrible.
I look at number four - I put (a)
Damn! What was I thinking?
I read all the questions I got wrong,
and of course,
I know the real answers.
.
You are terrible, Kylie.
.
I do better on essay questions,
because overall I am a better writer than thinker.
[I know that doesn't really sense but if I had to hand in a paper instead of a test, I do a lot better.]
.
I always second guess myself on multiple choice.
So on the first day of class when the teacher is going over how the tests are going to be,
when they say "Multiple choice"
I tell myself, "just drop out now."
.
However, when there are essay questions on the test,
I can never remember the support to make the short answer the best,
I usually end up dragging it on,
and still not getting the highest score possible.
.
.
I hate it.
.
.
If anyone, out there reading this, has some hints, or tricks, or any suggestions,
I would be glad to hear them!
.
I found out last semester that the faster I took a test,
the better off I was because I wouldn't second guess,
I just circled the right answer and went on.
But, this semester I have a stupid teacher that times us,
not only do you have to be done by a certain time,
if you are done early than a different certain time,
you are docked points because she thinks you are cheating.
Horrible, so I have to sit there for a half hour, staring at my paper, which then makes me second guess.
.
I can't stand it,
and unfortunately I have a lot more tests to take.
So, help. Please.
.
Thanks!
.


3 comments:

  1. okay which is worse...
    a. timed tests
    b. multiple choice tests
    c. the a.c.t.
    d. all of the above.

    *the answer is d.

    someone told me that when in doubt choose c but that is stupid because if i mark c more than twice i stress out. but then if i don't the phrase "when in doubt choose c" haunts me for the rest of the test. i'd give you hints but i am the girl that has nightmares about the testing center, has zero hours of sleep during finals week, and cries EVERYtime i turn in a test. school is lame. tests are lame-er.

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least you got the
    cold-sweats
    and not the
    meat-sweats.

    You are a smart girl Kylie.
    RELAX.
    Maybe take a shot of Vodka before you go in?
    Better yet, Take your ipod and listen to relaxing music...
    try not to think of it as a 'test' but just a review of the things you have learned along with a few questions that you already know the answers to.
    You CAN do this.

    I Love You, Sucky Test Taker and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys! I have also heard that paige, and I freak out also when there are two of the same answers back to back. But I will let you know, the last test I took I did amazing on! So I am improving!

    ReplyDelete